Pension * * *   Pension * * *   Pension * * *   Pension * * *   
 


     Many legends have been woven around the place where troops used to camp, including those that fought in the Battle of White Mountain, its also where Emperor Rudolf II and Maria Theresa of Austria held their celebrations and where SS troops built their shelters... The 85 ha game park, which Renaissance aristocracy used for entertainment and hunting, serves today as a favourite destination for walks, relaxation, and cycling, people come here with their dogs, or take their kids to the playground before lunch-time, and some even decide to get married here.

Curiosities
All in all, this place has been serving the same purpose for centuries and has managed to preserve its unique spirit. This is mainly due to the Summer Pavilion with its unusual ground plan in the shape of a hexagram, which provided the name to both the building as well as the game preserve. The building was designed by Archduke Ferdinand of Tyrolia, who took a great interest in philosophy, Hermeticism and alchemy. Many people attach great importance to the unusual lay-out, pointing out to the symbolism of numbers. As an example the four floors that are believed to symbolise the four elements.

History
Emperor Ferdinand I bought the Malejov forest in 1534 from Břevnov Monastery already with the intention to established a game preserve here. Using the plans still in existence, Ferdinand’s second-born son Ferdinand of Tyrolia designed the ground-plan of the future building in the shape of hexagon. The Summer Pavilion was built in Renaissance style between 1555 and 1556. Giovanni Maria Aostalli and Giovanni Lucchese, under the direction of Hanse Tirol and later Bonifác Wohlmut, participated on park’s development and supervision.

The game preserve was originally used for hunting. Following its renovation in the 18th century, it lost this purpose and all that remained was a pheasant houses.

It was the various wars that left the most distinctive mark on the game preserve’s state. In the course of the Thirty Year’s War, the place was thoroughly ravaged. Also the Summer Pavilion suffered some damage and wasn’t renovated until the middle of the 17th century by Ferdinand III.

About half a century later, Emperor Josef II decided to change the building into a place for storing gunpowder.

Renovation of the Game Preserve and the Summer Pavilion started as late as in the middle of the 19th century when it was reforested, the area in front of the Summer Pavilion was adapted and later on the building itself underwent renovation using the design by Pavel Janák. At this time it was already maintained by Prague Castle Administration. Between 1952 and 1996 the building was home to A. Jirásek and M. Aleš Museum. Following the renovation, completed in 2004, local collections have been maintained by The Monument of National Literature and the previous museums were closed.

Now
The interior of the Summer Pavilion is noted for its richly decorated stucco ceiling and mosaic floor made from glazed tiles. The building is often host to exhibitions, concerts of classical music and other cultural and social events. It can be also hired for events.

Location
Place: Na Vypichu
Town: Praha 6
GPS: N: 50°5'0.34, E:14°19'34.39


Opening Hours
April: Tue -Sun 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
May - September: Tue - Sun 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
October: Tue - Sun 10:00 am - 5:00 pm


Entrance Fee:
Adults 30 CZK / Children 15 CZK

Belveder Hvezda
Die Ausflüge
 
  pict Belveder Hvezda pict 1. etage pict 2. etage pict Exposition pict Wildgehege
          © Web Design 2011